Last week, I wrote about the basic rules for my life. This week, we’ll focus on the basic rules for my reading life because, let’s face it, I spend more time with my face in a book than I do in real life #noshame
I don’t know if these are more confessions or commandments so maybe we’ll say that they’re a hybrid (confessmandments? commandessions?) but regardless, these are how I approach my reading choices and decisions and general rules for being a reader:
- The darker a book, the more I will be drawn to read it
- I am not opposed to any specific genre of book unless it is romance. I do not like romance (think Danielle Steel, Jackie Collins, etc) at all. In fact, it’s probably the only genre I purposefully avoid and I get slightly ragey when someone recommends a romance book to me
- If I like one book by an author, I will binge their backlist and follow on all the social media
- One hundred pages is my limit. If a book can’t intrigue or grab me by then, we’re breaking up
- If I have a book on my nightstand and I renew it twice without ever picking it up except to move it to make room for a different book, I most likely will never read it
- I get fidgety when I have no books on hold at the library
- I forget I have eBooks #sorryNetGalley #dontkickmeout
- I usually read two books at once
- The more uncomfortable I am in a situation, the more I will talk about books.
- I am intimidated by classics and they will probably stay on my TBR in perpetuity.
- While I am still convinced the book is always better, it’s not as firm of an opinion as it used to be #howdidthishappen #beflexible
- When someone tells me they didn’t like a book I love, I judge them
- I generally don’t buy books because a) my child demands food and clothes and if I bought books, she wouldn’t have those and b) I’m so afraid to buy a book in fear that I won’t like it and then spend months being angry I wasted money #buyersremorseisreal
- I have to physically restrain myself from telling people what books to buy or checkout or offering my opinion on a book they have in their hand #itsabiggerproblemthanyouthink
- I know my library card number from memory but cannot tell you my sisters’ phone numbers
- When I am not reading books, I am reading about books #alsoabiggerproblemthanyouthink
- I do not suffer from FOMO except when it comes to reading books
What are some of your reading confessions?
P.S. A big giant happy birthday to Steph! I couldn’t ask for a more awesome friend and co-host and fellow booklover.
Linking up with Kathy and Nadine (a day early).