This is probably a post that makes more sense at the beginning of the year but with the year being half over, it’s a nice time for reflection. Mostly in reviewing what I wanted to accomplish, how far I’ve come in achieving my goals, and what I still need to do by year’s end. While I was doing that, it occurred to me that there are some things that, no matter what, I do each year without fail.
Let’s dive into some of those.
- Read Our Town
- Watch all 18 episodes of “Freaks and Geeks”
- Plan to get a new hairstyle and color. Rethink decision immediately.
- Travel somewhere new, even if it’s not somewhere exotic or far away from home.
- Revamp my entire makeup collection.
- Buy a planner, fill it with important milestone events, anniversary, and birthdays. Forget most of them.
- Renew both my blog domain name and my business license because you never know.
- Go to the beach.
- Cook Thanksgiving dinner. It’s my favorite meal to cook so even if I’m not hosting, I cook half the meal anyway.
- Promise not to spend any money on books or magazines until I’m caught up with all the ones I have.
- Adamantly insist that this will be the year I relearn conversational French, play the guitar, and learn to sew.
- Buy new bras and underwear (I realize some people do this monthly. I’m not in that group of people. #noshame)
- Find song I love, listen to it until I can’t stand it.
- Say I’m going to be more social and make new friends.
- Commit to one blogging or work related conference (anyone want to go to the Book Riot one in November?)
I think there might be a few I’m missing. If so, I’ll fill them in later.
Obviously there are some things on that list I’m quite successful at doing and others, not so much (I’ll let you decide for yourself which is which). But I think having those yearly rituals, failed or not, keeps me focused (a little) on what I want my life to look like. And I’m pretty sure that’s not a bad choice to make.
How about you guys? Do you have recurring yearly rituals or goals?