Today’s my mom’s birthday. I don’t talk too much about my parents or siblings for various reasons but today I have a good one for breaking that general rule since today we’re going to discuss all the ways I’m actually turning into my mother.
To be clear, there are worse people I could turn into. My mom is a pretty great person so there’s nothing I’m necessarily ashamed of when I open my mouth and my mother comes out. It’s just fucking weird.
- I burst into song in the middle of conversations. If I don’t do it out loud, you can bet there’s a concert going on in my head. My mom does this except 100% of the time she will sing, even if you’re still talking.
- My mother will strike up conversations with anyone, anywhere. I do this, too.
- You know those people who cropdust in stores? My mother is one of them. Also me now.
- Getting teary eyed at the smallest, most mundane things. Mostly my heart and soul are black but if the right commercial or song or TV character death comes along, add instant tears.
- When it comes to meal planning, I cook a shit ton of chicken. My mother made so much chicken when I was growing up, it prompted my father to tell her he was going to sprout feathers. I think the husband is one chicken parm away from this same comment.
- Pregnancy brain. We’re both severely afflicted. Even if we’re not currently pregnant and, in my mom’s case, her youngest is 28.
- A high level of yenta-ness. My mother loves town gossip and sticking her nose into other people’s business even from afar. I consider this my Jedi training and why I am amazing at clandestine viewing of the neighbors.
- We’re both huge bookworms. I have nothing snarky to say about this because books.
- Math. She can’t do it and neither can I. Especially when it comes to a checkbook. Why yes, 8 minus 6 does equal 3. It’s the new math.
- I spend approximately 8 million hours complaining that laundry is my life. Guess where I learned that?
- And then there’s also this concern
Happy birthday, Mom!! I’m so glad you weren’t born on a leap year because that would be confusing!
Are you guys turning into one of your parents? Is it just me?