I am a huge advocate for sharing recipes. We all need to eat, right? Since most of us have a budget and can’t afford enormous grocery bills, sharing frugal recipes is even better! When I come across such a recipe, I feel the need to share.
I mentioned earlier this month that my family is participating in a food stamp challenge (update coming on Friday). To keep with our budget, I’ve been using the $5 Dollar Dinner Mom’s cookbook (borrowed from my mother for free!) and website for good, inexpensive recipes. On Monday I made BBQ Lentils with Zucchini Parmesan for dinner. Of course, I’m the only one that ate it as my husband was away for work and my daughter ate leftover grilled cheese from our restaurant meal on Saturday night (this will be discussed in Friday’s update as well). But it was so freaking good! Especially the zucchini. The whole thing took 1/2 hour to make and I had enough leftovers for 2 days of lunches.
BBQ Lentils (from 5 Dollar Dinners by Erin Chase)
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups water
- pinch salt
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey (I used honey)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (I used the jarred equivalent)
- 1 cup brown rice
- Bring lentils, water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and let lentils cook for 20 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare brown rice according to directions.
- Add BBQ sauce, brown sugar or honey, and garlic to pot. Mix thoroughly and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve lentils over brown rice
Zucchini Parmesan (from 5 Dollar Dinners by Erin Chase)
- 1 large zucchini (adjust based on the number in your family. I used one small one for just me)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (not from the can/shaker thing)
- Cut the zucchini into slices or chunks.
- Microwave, covered, for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese. Let sit until melted.
That’s it. It’s simple, delicious, really filling and nutritious!