Welcome to Jana Says, where we talk about almost everything and anything with a dash of sarcasm, a splash of snark, a sprinkling of colorful language, and always served with a side of honesty and humor.
About the blog
In May 2011, my husband and I found ourselves in a position where we were almost out of credit card debt. Years of working towards that end goal left me interested in all things personal finance, specifically budgeting and frugal living. Needing an outlet to talk about my thoughts on money, I started a blog, Daily Money Shot, which became the foundation for what you see today. I wrote about money for just over 2 years and loved it but I found my interest in it waning. It became harder to post and the topics I did post kept drifting towards my regular, every day life.
As a result, in July 2013, I shifted the focus of the blog away from money and towards a more general lifestyle-type blog. Not only did I find it easier, and more fun, to write but it became a place where I could talk about all the things. For instance, I began to take ownership of my mental health issues and wanted to be a voice for those like me, not only to help educate and abolish stereotypes but to encourage others to tell their stories as well. I started writing more about parenting, confessing all my crazy, and writing about anything else that struck me. I had a brief interlude with a pioneer project, which you can find in various posts on this site. But no matter where my thoughts wandered, Jana Says seemed like the logical place to keep my thoughts contained.
So, rather than having multiple blogs littering the internets, I concentrated them all here. If you’re interested in a sampling of what I write about, you can check out the sidebar where I have some of my most popular and reader favorite posts, as well as a few series I’ve written over the years. And, in addition to those, you can go back in the archives and see my posts on budgeting, music, random pop culture and current events, and even some recipes. As the blog continues to build, I’ll be adding even more so make sure you follow along on Bloglovin to guarantee you don’t miss a post!
Now that you know all about the blog, let me tell you about me, Jana, the woman behind the blog. It’s probably easiest to do this list style so let’s break it down that way:
- I have one child. She is awesome and fabulous and I love her. You might even find her guest posting here on occasion. She’s also a competitive cheerleader which makes me a cheer mom. Four years in, I still struggle with this part of my identity.
- I married my college boyfriend. We’ve been together for 20 years, married for 12. Our relationship isn’t always perfect but we have fun.
- I have two dogs and one cat. I treat them like my children and share lots of pictures of them on Instagram.
- I am fanatical about music and movies. I don’t watch much TV but I also feel fanatical about the shows I do watch. I will talk about all of these at random and maybe inappropriate times.
- I am an avid reader and am more than happy to share any book recommendations with you, whether you want them or not. I even co-host a monthly linkup about books (you can find the archives page here)
- I love nail polish. I have way more than any sane person should. I also feel this way about lip balm. And office supplies.
- Poor grammar and spelling, excessive and inappropriate use of the expression “LOL”, a lack of common sense, and misuse of proper punctuation make me grumpy.
- I really want to make #noshame a thing because I don’t think anyone should be ashamed of anything they do or enjoy. Unless said activity is abusing punctuation. Then they should be very ashamed.
- I have always wanted to be an author and find my books in brick and mortar bookstores. I have a draft of a book. It will be a final version one day.
- I am sarcastic but a good fart joke is still ridiculously funny.
- I am a fan of the beach, flip flops, spring and fall weather, my hair in a ponytail, taking naps, yoga pants, Mets baseball, The Muppets, hair bands, polka dots, glitter, baking when I’m bored, writing, creating lists, and planning vacations.
- I have battled back from a serious bout of depression and still struggle with it daily. My self-esteem isn’t the greatest and I battle that, too. But every day it gets easier.
- I am flawed, imperfect, weird, and a little crazy but I own it. If that’s you, you’re in the right place. If that’s not you, you’re still in the right place. There’s room for everyone.
Thank you so much for stopping by! If you have any questions or comments or just want to chat, please feel free to send me an email or say hi on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram or fill out the contact form below. I look forward to getting to know you!